Saturday, October 9, 2010

Back Talk to Back Lighting

.... Well not literally (^to the title that is).

I want to talk about back lighting. Something photographers almost always SHUN. But then you go out and you look at photographs by famous photographers and you're like... 'Hey! Wait a minute now! You're not supposed to take a photograph like that!' Ok, well maybe, maybe not.

So maybe you're trying to get a shot with a friend, but you're sitting in front of a brightly light window. And your friend's like, wait! Lets move! We're 'back light!' (Insert cheesy sound affects...dun, dun, dun)

There's a couple of ways that you can fix the problem. Shoot with a flash. The effects most likely will be a little harsher than you wish... if you're far enough back it'll be ok. Or if you have a manual setting on your camera over expose a little..

Anyway, I"m not really here to give a lesson on photography. Just was out taking some photographs this afternoon and I realized that all of what I took was back light situations. I personally strive for the opportunity to work with back lighting. In a way its sort of a signature of mine. It's one of those photography 'guidelines' that I break. And I do so often!
Its almost like that ... because they say you can't do it, I want to do it sort of things.




So break the rules and work with back lighting! It's fun!

No comments: