Saturday, October 2, 2010

We Lost to a Politically Correct Cliche


So, I entered this photograph of Daniella into a cutest baby portrait photo contest, and we lost to a politically correct cliche of a photograph. Pictured were two homeless (or by appearance poor), let me try to be as politically correct as I can while I'm on topic, African American boys photographed near a vehicle-less tire. Not an all bad photograph, however when I think of cutest child portrait I cannot say that would even come to mind. If you're talking best child photojournalist portrait... maybe then I would deem it fitting. So I guess the question comes down to... did the judges truly see this as cute? Or was it driven by an agenda? Just a thought. What makes a photo cute? I personally believe that this is highly subjective to the viewer/judge. 

I can't say that I am walking away without disappointment, because yes, a part of me did hope for my baby girl's photo to win, because I believe that she's the most beautiful baby (and of course for bragging rights), and the other part of me hoped to use the money towards starting my boutique. Well here I am, no prize money, however this photograph is the boutiques feature photo as it is a great representation of what we are selling. In the mean time... I will have to continue to work on getting everything up and running without my prize money. 

Whatever the case... I deem this photo the most beautiful baby portrait. Not because I photographed it, but because my little girl makes it beautiful.