Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Untitled

As I was trying to figure out what to call this post... I thought well, why can't I figure out what to say? I just can't seem to find an explanation for this photograph.

You know, some of the most prized photographs have been untitled... I suppose in the earlier years of photography an image didn't have to be titled. It just was. It spoke for itself. Well... I suppose you could say that many years late the images do still speak for themselves. Or people put words out there for the photograph.

I find it interesting how they teach you in school to take a photograph that can be explained in 1 maybe 2 words, but better yet none. However in real life application it almost seems as though you can't take a photograph without having to explain it. Either in title... short descriptions, or even sometimes by a corresponding quote. Whatever the case. People like to add words to an image that is supposedly supposed to attain 1,000 of its own. Why is this?

I suppose it could be argued for 'titles' sake that a photograph needs a title because it needs to be catalogued.... categorized, and placed so that it is easy enough to find. This I suppose I can understand, but I'm more or less referring to the 'titled' image that one seems to need a word to catch the meaning of the photograph.

I have said this before, and I will say this again. I don't like to over analyze why I do or don't like to take a photograph. I don't want to explain why the aesthetic resonates deep within me... when it comes to taking a photograph, it is strictly visual. I like what I see. And therefore I try to recreate what I see that I like. Simple.

So there you have it. I photographed this at sunset. I suppose you could say its a reflection of the sunset, or a reaction of the affects the sunset has on the world... whatever the case. The visual affects were pleasing to my eyes.

No comments: